Friday, May 1, 2009

Honesty Challenge Day 1: Lies today: 1

Today is the first day of my no lying challenge, and I've already failed.

The boyfriend and I took our dogs for a long walk in the sunshine today.  It's a beautiful, perfect day outside.  We wandered aimlessly for a bit, then stopped at a new sandwich place for lunch.  We got our sandwiches to go and sat in the shade at the park across the street while we ate.  A perfect day.  Then, on the way home I asked to stop at the grocery store for some tortillas.  The boyfriend didn't want to come in, so he waited outside for the dogs.  After all, it doesn't take long to buy tortillas.  

Well, of course I couldn't resist wandering the aisles a bit in search of an impulse purchase or two.  I thought about buying some meat...nah - cooking seems like work on a beautiful day like this.  Maybe some ice cream?  Oh wait, I'm supposed to be eating better.  Maybe just a look...and five minutes of drooling over ice cream flavors later I remember that there is a boy with two dogs waiting for me outside!  Oops!  I head to the self checkout, pay, and leave.

When I get outside the three of them are sitting on the ground looking bored.  So what do I do?  Do I fess up to trying to decide what kind of ice cream to get?  No, instead I make up a regular (and not even a real regular - a completely random name) that I supposedly ran into while I was picking out tortillas.  

Me: 'Oh, sorry it took so long, I ran into Bob and he was talking my ear off.' 
The Boy:"Who's Bob?"  
Me: 'Oh, a regular from the bar - he was all blah blah blah and I couldn't get away until I finally told him that my dogs were waiting for me outside.'
The Boy: "Oh."
Me: 'I've officially lived here too long if I can't even go to the grocery store without getting stuck talking to people from the bar.'

I'm pathetic.  I couldn't even make it three hours without a lie.  And such a stupid, unnecessary one too!  I'm headed out for happy hour followed by dinner and a show with a friend - I'll try to keep myself honest for the rest of the day.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment